Reception, registration, and education for new students arriving in France

mis à jour le 26/11/18

You live in Paris. Your child is arriving from abroad and has never been enrolled in an establishment recognized by the French National Education.

Students between 2 and 6 years old may be enrolled in the closest preschool to their residence, based on the limited spaces available in the school.

All students between 6 and 11 years old who are just arriving in France are directed by their district’s city hall to the Unité Pédagogique pour Elèves Allophones Arrivants (UPE2A: organization for non-French speaking students) of the school closest to their residence.

A teacher evaluates their levels in French and mathematics.

According to the results, the student will be placed in a UPE2A or in an ordinary class. The city hall will then execute the student’s registration.

Consult the district city hall’s address

Documents required by the parents or guardian:

  • child’s identification
  • proof of residency (gas or electric bill received within last 3 months or current bill statement, last tax form or tax exemption form based on revenue, last property tax form and license-fee)
  • for guardians, a document proving that they are the child’s legal entrusted guardian
  • medical documents concerning mandatory vaccines: BCG (tuberculosis), DT-IPV (diphtheria, tetanus, and polio). These vaccines must have already been received or be in the process of being received.
  • Your child must take both French and mathematics tests (in their native language)
  • To do this, make an appointment at CASNAV by clicking the link : Prendre rendez-vous au CASNAV

The exams take place at 8:00 am at CASNAV in the Académie de Paris,
> 12 boulevard d’Indochine, 75019 Paris
> metro stop Porte de Pantin on line 5 or tram 3B stop “Butte du chapeau rouge”

Attention: CASNAV is closed during school vacations.

The day of the test

  You must submit an administrative application. List of documents to bring :

  • Child’s photo identification including date of birth
  • Birth certificate
  • Parent/guardian’s photo identification
  • Two proof of housing documents in the name of the legal parent/guardian: EDF or GDF bill (received within last 3 months), lease or property deed or tax form

In case of accommodation : provide proof of accommodation with individual, accompanied by photo identification of accommodator. We retain the right to require other supporting documents if necessary

  • Allocation receipt or proof of social security
  • Proof of supervision for children arriving in France unaccompanied by their parents
  • School report card from home country (facultative)

You must bring original documents; CASNAV does not make photocopies

Original documents in foreign languages must be accompanied by an official translation by a certified translator (no photocopies). Addresses of certified translators can be found at the city hall, préfecture, police station, or online through the Compagnie des Experts Traducteurs – Interprètes assermentés

After the tests, your child will be placed in a middle school or high school. You will receive this assignment by mail.

Écoles, collèges, lycées

mis à jour le 09/12/16

Parents, contactez-nous

mis à jour le 08/06/17